For me, one of the most important things I bring back from a mission trip is an understanding of how much I take for granted back home.
One of the most basic things taken for granted is something everyone needs, but not everyone can easily get.
* Many people (especially women and children) have to walk miles and miles to carry jugs of water that they use for drinking, cooking, and bathing.
* These jugs can be extremely heavy and the water may not be very clean.
- Take it from me… you’re very lucky to have such easy access to indoor plumbing, hot showers, and especially clean water.
Now on a more beauty related note, here is my tip this week.
Drink more water!
Beauty comes from the inside out~ Literally and Figuratively.
In this case, I’m talking specifically about how what you do for your body internally can affect your external appearance!
There’s speculation as to how much water one should actually drink (8-11 glasses a day being a popular estimate).
A simple way of “testing” if you’re drinking enough water is by going to the bathroom.
- If you’re urine is really yellow, you’re not drinking enough water. (It should be clear or pale yellow)
- If you’re not going to the bathroom a few times a day, you’re not drinking enough water.
Now that summer is here (and there’s a huge heat wave on the East and West Coast), it is especially important that you are getting enough liquids in your system.
* Dehydration is bad for your body, and bad for your looks.
- Dehydrated skin can look sallow, worn, dry, and wrinkled.
- Many people confuse thirst for hunger and end up eating more than necessary (thus gaining weight).
Some of the benefits
of drinking a lot of water are:
* Enhanced health
* Increased energy
* Bright, clear eyes
* A radiant complexion
*Less bloating and puffiness
- This is possible because water carries nutrients to every cell in your body, flushes out nasty toxins, improves circulation and blood flow, and lubricates your joints.
Most people don’t drink as much water as they should.
If you don’t already, try drinking 8 glasses of water a day for a week. (If you already drink that much, add 2 or 3 glasses).
See if you notice any changes in your skin and energy levels.
And the next time you take a long shower or easily grab a drink from a bottle of water, keep in mind how lucky you are to have clean water. A little gratitude always makes you more beautiful~*